Monday, June 13, 2011

Silly Things Students Say #1

I thought I would start this as one of the major labels for the blog (so I'll do it often) because it is probably the most entertaining--"The silly things students say" is usually some form of language mis-interpretation. Although, sometimes this is not necessarily the case, it's always interesting to hear things that students wouldn't say in the U.S. Such as today:

Cleaning boys: "Hello teacher!!"
JF: "Hi! How are you guys today?"
CB in unison as if they've never said anything else: "I'm fine, thank you. And you?"
JF: "I'm tired today."
CB #1 walking up to my desk: "Hello teacher."
JF: "And how was your weekend?"
CB#1: "Huh?"
JF: "Weekend. What did you do?"
CB#1: "um...."
JF: "Study? As usual?"
CB#1: "No study. Thinking."
JF: "You were thinking all weekend?"
CB#1: "Thinking. Maddiage. You."
JF: "What?"
CB: "Meddy. You."
JF: "OH. You thought about marrying me all weekend?"
CB: "I love you teacher."
JF walking out: "Ha. Here's your candy."

4 comments:

  1. So, would a male teacher get these propositions, too?Or would there just be ubiquitous muffled shy giggles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! Which will inevitably lead me to a whole post about how you would feel like a rockstar (though blondes way more so). I think I get it less (like, I don't get hooted at on the streets) than most foreigners because I'm a blender.

    The girls are not shy (most of them) at all. They will coo and yell and make you feel like if you touch them, they will cry. And, the exaggeration was checked at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have seen how my students reacted when they discovered I had blue eyes. I felt like one of the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's funny, I was going to quote another friend saying exactly the same thing!

    ReplyDelete