Sunday, June 12, 2011

From Gwangju to Seoul

I live in Gwangju, which to anyone outside of Korea simply means I don't live in Seoul. I live about 3 hours southwest of Seoul, on the opposite side from Busan. It's the 5th largest city in Korea (a bit smaller than Chicago), but let's put it this way, in contrast to Seoul, we have 1 subway line and Seoul has 16. Sixteen majorly intense, yet ridiculously efficient subway lines. Oh and clean as hell.

We have one Nepalese restaurant, a pub, one "Mexican" restaurant/bar, I think 4 E-marts, and allegedly a couple Vietnamese restaurants, to Seoul's entire neighborhoods full of Western conveniences and indulgences. I think there are over 10 million people now, a cool 3 million more than NYC. But it works.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gwangju's "smallness". Much in the same way I've grown up in love with both the U.P. and Chicago, needing both the small town, and the big city. I can see the mountains from my patio, it only takes me 15 minutes to meet my friends for dinner, and I generally don't have to spend $50 to go out for the evening. However, it's always worth it in Seoul--I have had several of the best Korean meals EVER, there (food and company).

Here's a great way to explain Seoul...
http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/life/50-reasons-why-seoul-worlds-greatest-city-534720

I can't lie, my favorite thing about Gwangju is that it's simple and what I needed this year. It takes me 5.5 minutes to walk to school. Everyday I can get amazing bibimbap for $3 for lunch or on my way home. The university campus I live on is quiet and pretty, and although it's tricky for all of my friends to find my building, it's quite convenient to anything I need. Much in the way I love the U.P. Sure, we don't have all the indulgences, but I guess when I applied, that's why I strayed from Seoul. The temptation to not embrace the assimilation I suppose, especially the language.

Now that I've spent time there, and have met people I love there, am I a bit regretful I didn't choose Seoul? Sure, especially when I want goat cheese and salt and pepper chips from Costco, but not in any way that counts. Ok, it hurt a bit more when Toro y Moi was playing on a Thursday night and I couldn't get there, but for the little day trips with co-teachers, funny celebrity sighting, "family dinners", which, all encompass a more intimate community, I'm perfectly happy in my U.P. across the world. And now that I've met a neighbor who's from the U.P. too, it just made it feel even more fated.

So I've fallen in love both. Sue me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your new world through your new eyes. Peace and good things...

    ReplyDelete