Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ahhh, Lunch

I'm allowed to leave campus for lunch--some walk around--but, because I've become partial to staying in my classroom instead of the office on my off hours, I've decided I would commit to eating lunch with the teachers everyday, even though my apt is 5 minutes away and I mostly feel like I'm their new science experiment.

I figure it's likely I'll either get skinny because I like my kimchi warm, not cold, or I'll get fat (gained 12lbs in 5 weeks in China) from eating rice to overcompensate for cold kimchi. Either way, I think it's respectful (even though, I'm sure at some times, my co-teacher will like to NOT have to make conversation) and at least I can try to bond a little with these fellow teachers, because ultimately, We're all intimidated by each other. That is obvious.

The cafeteria feels a little bit like when I was eating in my old elementary school when I was substitute teaching--familiar, but unfamiliar; the boys on one side, girls on the other, and teachers in a corner and everyone has their "usual" people they eat with. Also, every table has at least a few minutes of conversation at my expense, though to their credit, always take turns smiling and nodding. I smile back, but I'm thinking, Yep, I'm the new, foreign girl who looks a bit like I should know what to say, but you're puzzled because you couldn't understand a word I said in the meeting when they introduced me yesterday. Except "an nyoung hae sayo", of course. Because I practice that 50 times a day, so it's got verve. And I said "ne hao" when the Chinese teacher introduced himself, but couldn't remember "thank you". Yep, that's me, the migook.


I "usually" eat with 2 of my co-teachers (also English teachers) and the Ethics teacher (raise your hand if Ethics was taught in your HS, what?). Because we all share an office. Ethics-T is pretty quiet and doesn't speak any English (9 days, no words), so usually after class, I wait for the others to walk down through the sea of orange blazers and into the cafeteria. But suddenly, yesterday he got up from his desk, very smiley and animated, and waved toward the lunch room. Having just come from a "SURPRISE-you-have-a-class-right-now-SORRY" hour of 1st grade (HS) boys, I admit, I was startled. "Ok, sure...??"

The language barrier on this walk up 1 flight of stairs, around a corner, and through to another wing of the school, isn't so much uncomfortable as it is humorous--2 adults, no articulation; both on the verge of laughing (this is not totally unlike the 3 week fling in Spain where we both spoke like 1st graders to one another. you know how mid-twenty-somethings hate inarticulate). I was thinking, there has to be something...

"I'm REALLY hungry," I say patting my stomach.

"ME aaah too." Communication badge, EARNED! Turns out, Ethics-T's wife is an English teacher and she told him this is a perfect opportunity to learn English.

I always leave the office saying, "Have a good day." Today he said, "Thank you beddy much."

Fongie loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment