Monday, March 7, 2011

Decisions.

So, this weekend a bunch of us gathered and traded stories of our first weeks at school. One guy hadn't even taught yet; he's going to have 12 students max, per class, 1 co-teacher, and endless resources. Another played sports all day. Another sat in the back of the room while their co-teacher took on the dictator role.

I was thrown in. Day 1, class one, "No no, I don't need to say nothing. You do what you think," said one of my 5 co-teachers sweetly. 4 classes on day 1: 3 of boys, 1 of girls. I called it Introduction Day--I show them images of Chicago, my life, my family, etc.; then, I have each of them go around the room (so I can see how well each can speak, so I can plan accordingly), saying 3 things:

1. My name is...
2. I am in second (this designates 2nd grade, high school) grade.
3. I like...(football, k-pop, dancing, computers, etc.).

This is a great exercise for the entire day, until I forget I'm dealing with puberty, hormones, and that teenage-male-need to humor his peers.

"My name isa Park Hiyeun Moon. I am insa secondeh gradeh. And, I like...a aYOU."

Does the class start laughing uncontrollably? Of course. Am I afraid to look at my co-teacher for fear she is forever going to think I can't handle my class? Yes. But I do anyway; we lock eyes for a minute, then suddenly, we are laughing out loud too.

"Well, thank you. Very nice to meet you too."

1 comment:

  1. Of course they fell in love with you...I predicted that.

    ReplyDelete