Monday, July 4, 2011

Celebrating July 4, 2011

It's quite weird, being from America, and not celebrating Independence Day. I don't know if I should admit that it has nothing to do with celebrating our independence from Britain, but it really doesn't. I can get down with celebrating freedom, but sometimes that feels shady to me, like I'm buying into the force-fed history books. The bias ones.

Missing this holiday emphasizes missing my friends and family on the weekend I enjoy most in the year--everyone is easily excitable. Even if the weather turns out horribly, the fireworks are cancelled, and the inevitable hangover begins early, even the grumps put out a smile. At least in my experience.

But usually, the sun comes out, and water guns and sprinklers and laughter are abundant. The smell of charcoal, grilled food, and the sulfur from fireworks alone brings extra large, genuine contentment. Family and friends from all over the place have gathered and the children that were toddlers last year have grown into full-fleged water-gun sharpshooters, and can carry on conversations that make you want to quit your job to become a pre-school teacher.

And it has nothing to do with gifting. Nothing. Children are contented by love and happiness and sparklers, instead of discontented by 100 presents that didn't include "the one they really wanted." Adults are contented by a can of beer, some bean bag toss, and a burger, not stressed out by in-laws, Santa Claus, and holiday weight.

This holiday helps me to stop and appreciate the people in my life. Coming to Korea has helped me figure out who those people really are and who I want them to be of course, but it's also helped me acknowledge the freedoms I have because of those who came before me--on this day I don't have to think about the bias history books.

No comments:

Post a Comment