Thursday, July 14, 2011

Student Speech--Keywords of My Life

Some of the students entered a "Dream" contest, reflecting on their hypothetical lives at 40. This is one of my Essay Writing student's essay, who asked me for editing help. I just wanted to share...


Keywords Of My Life

- 40 Years Old Me -

(English Script)


㄰Hello, everyone. You are all here today to listen to my speech: key words of my 40-year-old life. Preparing this speech, I worried for quite a long time because I was not sure what subject would reflect my life the most effectively. Since I wanted to let people know just how related one's life is with his interest and ability, especially for teenagers, the keyword would be perfectly simple and easy to understand. Let me start with my wandering adolescence.





 Doubt & Wonder

ㆍWill I able to enter good university?

ㆍWhat should I be in the future?

ㆍWhat is my heart telling me to do?



㄰These are all very common questions that teenagers struggle to find answer. Most of my friends whose grades were similar to mine had firm determinations and seemed to be making every effort in order to achieve their dreams. Consequently, I was intimidated. My grades were outstanding, but I felt exhausted when I thought of this question: What am I studying for?

㄰However, every person has at least one thing one loves to do. I was no exception.





This is my first keyword. Can you guess what it is?

Right. My first keyword is: English.



 English

ㆍNo rejection

ㆍEnjoyable

ㆍMy representative strength



㄰Many of you may not understand me, but I loved English. I started learning English at the age of seven and seven-year-old me soon found out that English was amazingly interesting. It was whole new and fantastic experience speaking, reading and writing in another language. Naturally, my English skill was steadily developed and I got to be confident with it. I desired to improve my English more and more.

㄰This is how I started learning English for the first time. As you can see, I connected every alphabet with animals or things which are familiar with me. They're quite easy, aren't they? I could learn English easier in this way.





 Reading

ㆍGet knowledge

ㆍCan go anywhere in the world

ㆍExperience various situations

ㆍWiden the range of imagination



㄰And, this is my second keyword. My second keyword is Reading. In my childhood days, I spent most of the day reading books instead of going to math or science academy. My mother bought me as many books as she could and encouraged me to read them a lot. I could not see the wall of my house's living room because it was all covered with bookshelves.

㄰As the result, I became good at reading and writing.

㄰I fell in love with books because I could experience everything and anything in them. Some days, I was with an invisible man, and the next day I was exploring jungle. The possibilities were endless.





 Yu-na Kim

ㆍ2010 Vancouver Olympic Figure Skating Champion

ㆍOvercome all difficulties

ㆍDonates much



㄰Now, I'll give you my last keyword. You can also try guess this time. My last keyword is: Yu-na Kim.

㄰Some of you might wonder why, but I cannot tell you about my life without mentioning Yu-na Kim. She has been my mentor since I just first saw her skating on the ice.

㄰What I admire most about her is that she got through uncountable difficulties, such as injuries, financial problems, and lack of rinks to practice. Despite all those problems, she kept practicing and as a result, she achieved her lifelong dream: to be an Olympic Champion.

㄰Furthermore, she teaches me the humane way of living. She's an UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, helps children from poor countries, and young Korean figure skaters.

 40 years old me

ㆍInterpreter

ㆍTranslator

ㆍCan go almost every ice show I want



㄰Finally, this is the slide for the present. Can you see that all three keywords listed on this slide are quite related with the keywords that I stated you on the front slides? And, accordingly, I'm really satisfied with my life now and enjoying everyday. I love my job and most of all, I love my hobby- watching ice shows. What I hope you is to be the one who can enjoy your life truly and lives doing what you want. Thank you for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment