Friday, April 22, 2011

It's the Simple Things

When spring did it's thang and finally came around in Korea, I was so delighted to walk around campus with its cherry blossom trees. Their aesthetic doesn't leave anything to be desired. But, I genuinely felt pain thinking about how much I missed the spring's lilacs--something about the crisp, sweet smell that literally brings a smile to my face, every time.

I liken it to the fact that there were a bunch outside my grandparents' house where I grew up playing kick the can and running through the sprinklers. I had a rainbow bathing-suit, yellow jelly shoes, and bangs of course, and loved hiding between the lilacs and the old rail-wheel.

And in graduate school, my last was the smallest bedroom I've ever been in, but had 2 VIP windows cornering my bed; and there were lilacs all over the backyard, making my favorite pastime napping. One who knows me would say my memory is less than stellar, but I will always remember spectacular napping.

Anyway, I got the best night of sleep I've gotten since I got to Korea last night. Window open, breeze coming through, and...

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Tuberose does the same thing to me too. Totally floods my brain with so many wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have a long way to go back here in Yooperland before the lilac bloom and the pungent smell of spring and summer permeate out lives. 65 degrees yesterday, 40 degrees and snow sleet today.

    ReplyDelete